Yesterday when I searched for some inspiration, I found this wonderful advice by Barbara Cage in A Daybook of Gratitude: How to Live Each Day with a Thankful Heart (a Blue Mountain Arts collection):
"Ten Ways to Cultivate Gratitude
"1. Realize that life isn't always fair. Accept what you must, and change what you can.
2. Think before you act. A moment of carelessness or anger can cause years of anguish and regret.
3. Look for the beauty in life, in people, in nature, and in yourself.
4. Appreciate what you have: the people, the opportunities, the material possessions.
5. Make the effort to have fun. It's a great way to bond with others, and it makes some of the best memories.
6. Set aside some time for yourself. Do something you enjoy without feeling even a little guilty.
7. Accept others without judgment. Everyone is unique, and it's okay to be different.
8. Forgive. Bitterness and resentment hurt you more than the person you direct them at.
9. Learn. Open your mind to new ideas and activities, and don't be afraid to try.
10. Dream. Make plans, believe in yourself, and go for what you want."
I wouldn't change a word of this. I couldn't have said it better myself. So I'll let it stand on its own for you to ponder.